Monday, May 17, 2010

How to meet a new customer?

Saw a great example of how to meet and greet a new customer yesterday. Local restaurant for this example. I have visited two stores recently of this particular food chain and I have noticed that they have really stepped up the front line customer service. How many times have you walked into your local store weather it be fast food, grocery or retail and been greeted with the straight faced "Hello, How can I help you" I'm bored out of my mind but I have to do this attitude? Probably several times a week right?

Ian was our greeter/register man yesterday and he was on the ball. Who ever is doing the training is doing a great job getting these kids to pay attention to how they communicate with the customer who are just there to order a # 4 combo meal. You could tell Ian was very knowledgeable and liked his job. For the first time in a long time I actually saw a counter / register person selling the product..not just taking the order! He was engaged with the customers and not just repeating his script. Yes some of it was scripted as it's a system and you have to stay in the system however he overcame the dull boring "Do you want curly fries with that?" question by being courteous and helpful with information about the items being ordered. Normally a name on a name tag I hardly notice..but because of Ian's great customer service I will remember his name the next time we visit his store.

Great job and a lesson we can all take to heart...First Step in the sales process is to meet and greet weather your doing that over the phone, face to face or even through the use of a web site. What's your prospects first impression?

Want to know more about the sales process get in touch or join us this Wednesday night @ 9:30 EST with my friends at The Beginner's Marketing Class

Stay Focused!

No comments:

Post a Comment